1031 Exchange Single Family into Multi-family: All You Need To Know

A 1031 exchange, also known as a tax-deferred exchange or like-kind exchange, is a provision in the United States Internal Revenue Code that allows an investor to defer paying capital gains taxes on the sale of investment property if the proceeds are used to acquire a similar or “like-kind” property. This can be a powerful tool for real estate investors looking to grow and manage their property portfolios while minimizing their tax liabilities.

In a 1031 exchange, you can indeed exchange a single-family property for a multi-family property, as long as both properties are held for investment or business purposes. Here’s a basic overview of how the process might work:

  1. Identify Replacement Property: After selling your single-family property, you have a limited timeframe (45 days) to identify potential replacement properties that you intend to acquire using the proceeds from the sale.
  1. Purchase Replacement Property: Within 180 days of the sale of your original property, you need to close on the acquisition of one or more of the identified replacement properties.
  1. Follow 1031 Exchange Rules: To successfully complete a 1031 exchange, you must follow certain rules:
  • Properties must be of “like-kind.” For real estate, this typically means any type of investment real estate can be exchanged for any other type of investment real estate, as long as they are located within the United States.
  • The value of the replacement property (or properties) must be equal to or greater than the value of the property being sold.
  •  All proceeds from the sale of the original property must be held by a qualified intermediary, a third-party intermediary who facilitates the exchange.
  1. Avoid Boot: If you receive cash or other property (referred to as “boot”) as part of the exchange, it might be subject to taxes. To fully defer taxes, you would ideally use all the proceeds from the sale of the original property to acquire the replacement property.
  1. Report the Exchange: You need to report the 1031 exchange on your tax return using IRS Form 8824.
  1. Consult Professionals: 1031 exchanges can be complex, so it’s essential to work with professionals like tax advisors, real estate agents, and qualified intermediaries to ensure you follow all the rules and requirements.

It’s important to note that tax laws and regulations can change, and the information I’ve provided is based on the situation up until my last update in September 2021. Always consult with legal and tax professionals who are up-to-date on the latest regulations and can provide personalized advice for your specific situation.

Get Mentored by Jake & Gino

Get Mentored Now

Interested In our community

apply Now

By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Jake & Gino LLC. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies